Wednesday, September 29, 2010

Neighborhood Hirakata

In my brief time as a resident of the city of Hirakata, I have observed people from all walks of life participating in various activities in and around the community that surrounds my current residence--Seminar house 4.  In particular, the park located across the street is heavily used by the community as a gathering place for families and also serves many other functions.  the park consists of much wide open grassy areas, some playground equipment, a series of water fountains in which kids play on the particularly hot days, physical exercise equipment, and a walking path.


Prior to arriving for the fall semester, Kansai Gaidai University sent an email to exchange students concerning the use of this park and the reputation that previous exchange students have made as a result. the notice indicated that students typically gathered at the park to drink beer and often became rather loud and disruptive in the process.  Upon arriving I soon understood why the park appropriately referred to as "beer park" attracted students--located across the street from the park is a liquor store with a beer machine standing at the corner.  The seminar houses are also in the direct vicinity, which makes it a convenient spot to meet with friends and maybe have a cold one.


This year is no exception to the trend in popularity--having visited the park on several occasions, there are frequently various groups of students that gather on the benches near the beer machine to socialize.  Each time I have gone, I try to observe the general reactions of the local residents but have found that they largely ignore these "gaijin" gatherings.

On a daily basis, I have noticed a large number of residents walking their dogs in and around the neighborhoods.  Being a dog owner myself, I have had short interactions with residents as a result of their dogs.  In my neighborhood in Hawaii, a good way to meet or start a friendly conversation with neighbors is through their dogs--a common point of interest.  Similarly, I have had the opportunity to speak briefly with local residents who, if it were not for their dogs, we would most likely not have even made eye contact.

On route to school everyday, I pass by many local businesses and shops.  There are a few places that have security guards stationed at the entrances to the parking lots and or the company facilities.  These guards stand at the entrances and offer assistance to any vehicle entering or departing from the facility while also ensuring pedestrian safety.  In my short time in Hirakata, I have come to recognize the guards simply from passing who, if you catch their attention, will always give a polite nod and say "ohayou gozaimasu" or "konnichiwa".  These pleasantries may be minute and insignificant, however it has shown me that even with strangers, it does not hurt to be courteous and or friendly.  It may lead to future interactions.

3 comments:

  1. There are certainly a lot of posts about the so-called beer park this week. And while you might observe the locals ignoring the foreign student gatherings, they aren't oblivious to them. I hope students can explore other parts of the area instead on congregating so near to their comfort zone and bugging the neighbors...

    I would like to have read more about your observations and interactions with the dog owners. Pets, dogs in particular, are very popular in Japan. Dogs seem to be important family members. A focus on this theme with more details would have made for a stronger post about your neighborhood. Because of the restrictions on the amount of text for the posts, quality is valued over quantity.

    You have some nice photos here. But your blog layout is not so attractive. The light gray text over the puke-pink background is difficult to read.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Yes, although the residents seem to ignore these gatherings, it is obvious that they are not oblivious to them, nor can it be inferred that they do not mind the noise, but I have also found that among those foreigners that visit the park for these purposes, there are many Japanese students that frequent it as well.
    I had previously decided on another area to discuss in this blog, but decided that due to its distance away from my immediate residence, that it would be better to write about something closer. However, I intend to write about this spot in a later blog post.
    I wanted to discuss the pet owners more in depth, but as I have only observed for the most part, it was difficult to discuss more than my general opinion on the matter. Also, I felt a bit awkward taking pictures of dogs and their owners, which would have meant directly approaching them. As of now, I am a bit nervous to do so, but I also see that it would have benefits as well.
    I changed the blog template, and I hope it works better.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I found it quite interesting that you talked with the people walking with their dogs in this park. Everytime I go there, there is always a lot of people who walk, run or just talk. This park is truly part of the neighborhood and I can understand why the residents don't like it too much when Gaijin hang out late and make too much noise.
    It would have been nice to see some pictures of the people you talked with and maybe their dogs too. But I still enjoyed reading your blog!

    ReplyDelete